I started my new position at the local newspaper today. It’s been about two months since I finished working at my school’s newspaper, and I can’t believe the (awesome) differences between that setting and a daily-newspaper newsroom.
Here are some reasons why newsrooms are the coolest:
Everyone around you shares your addiction for coffee. If they could, they’d just start injecting it to get through being there before the sun comes up.
- Editors understand the concept of an organized mess. Sure, there are piles of absolute crap everywhere, but the owner of the desk knows exactly what’s in those piles and how to find what they need.
- Editors feed off of stress. It’s 10 minutes until deadline and people are still calling in obituaries, but you’re going to feel like the champ of the century when you get your pages to the press on time.
- Inappropriate jokes are completely acceptable.
- Eating on top of your keyboard is also acceptable…because really, who has time to eat?
- The people around you are just as weird as you.
- Yell an AP Style question out loud, 10 people will yell back an answer.
- Saying “that comma is in the wrong place” or “that’s the wrong form of your” doesn’t make you an egotistical asshole, it makes you a hero.
It’s safe to say that I’m going to love this job.