You can’t be bored unless you’re boring.
Constant complaints of boredom are one of my biggest pet peeves. Sure, I’ve had my fair share of “I’m bored” days, but usually during things I couldn’t control, like English 101 or being forced to go to church.
Sitting around your apartment or house and complaining of boredom, however, is ridiculous. To cure you of your “I’m bored” blues, here’s a list of things you should do instead of checking Facebook every five minutes:
- Go for a hike. Look on your state’s website to find state parks near you, which are probably filled with hiking trails.
- Write. This may not be something everyone is interested in, but starting a song, poem, short story or even a book can be a great boredom cure. Oh, and blogging, too.
- Find a craft to do on Pinterest. There are millions of them at this point, and one of them is sure to catch your eye.
- Read a book. Goodreads.com can help you find a book no matter what your interests are.
- Watch a movie. A perfect rainy day activity.
- Grab a meal or drink with friends. They’re probably bored too.
- Walk a shelter dog. Talk about boredom–sitting in a kennel all day long with nothing
to do but stare at other dogs. Go to your local shelter and sign up as a volunteer walker. The dogs will thank you.
- Clean. I’m not talking about a Clorox wipe on the counter here. Take everything out of your closets and drawers, reorganize. A clean living-area is more motivational.
- Check out your neighborhood. I love walking downtown to see what’s new in the shops, who’s playing at the theater and who’s out and about.
- Do the newspaper sudoku. Seriously, it’s addicting.
- Have a cookout. Whether it be in your backyard or in a park, get some charcoal and hot dogs and meet your friends. Oh, and wear a tank top so you don’t end up with terrible tan lines.
- Go to a baseball game. Baseball, depending on where you live, is cheap fun. Even if you can’t afford an MLB game, watching the minors and being at a field is just as fun!
Get off the couch!